Basic Surgical Skills and Techniques 2nd Edition PDF
Hi when i was a clerk during my 36hours duty in surgery i learned so many techniques and basic surgical skills like suturing and all , but hopefully with the help of this book Basic Surgical Skills and Techniques Latest Edition PDF Knots are used in surgery for approximation of tissues or for ligation of blood vessels.
More than [dropcap][/dropcap] have been described in Encyclopedias of knots, but only a few are used in surgery. The type of surgical knot used depends upon the material used, location, depth of the incision and the amount of stress placed upon the wound.
Multifilament sutures are easier to tie than monofilament sutures, because they have a high coefficient of friction and the knots remain in position as they are laid down, in comparison to the monofilament variety which have a low coefficient of friction, resulting in the knot havin a tendency to loosen. Monofilament sutures have memory, and they tend to return to their resting shape. While tying knots, surgeons must work slowly and meticulously, as undue speed in knot tying may result in a poor tie, and slippage.
[toggle title=”Basic Surgical Skills and Techniques Latest Edition PDF” state=”close”]Ready to Learn??[/toggle]
Safe Principals of Knot Tying – Basic Surgical Skills and Techniques
1. The completed knot must be firm to avoid slipping.
2. Knot must be as small as possible and ends should be cut short.
3. Whilst tying a knot, friction between strands must be avoided as this can weaken the suture.
4. Avoid excessive tension to the suture while applying knot.
5. Final tension on the final throw should be as nearly horizontal as possible.
6. Care should be taken to avoid damage to the suture material when handling it.
7. Tension should be maintained on the knot after the first loop has been tied to avoid loosening of the throw.
8. Extra ties do not add to the strength of a properly tied and squared knot but only add to the bulk.
Methods of Knot Tying
1. Hand tied knot
2. Instrument tied knot
3. Endoscopic knot tying
A hand tied knot can be:
1. Granny knot 2. Square knot or reef knot
3. Surgeon’s knot
4. Reverse surgeon’s knot
5. Double-double knot
A hand tied knot can be either by one hand or by two hands.
Basic Surgical Skills and Techniques Latest Edition PDF