Macleod’s Clinical Diagnosis 2nd Edition Ebook PDF 2018
Macleod’s Clinical Diagnosis 2nd Edition Ebook PDF 2018 ‘Ninety per cent of diagnoses are made from the history.’ ‘Clinical examination is the cornerstone of assessment. These, or similar platitudes, will be familiar to most students in clinical training. Many, however, notice a ‘disconnect’ between the importance ascribed to basic clinical skills during teaching and the apparent reliance on sophisticated inves-tigations in the parallel world of clinical practice.
Modern diagnostics have radically altered the face of medical practice; clinical training is still catching up. We recognize that teachers and textbooks frequently fall into the trap of eulogizing clinical assessment rather than explaining its actual role in contemporary diagnosis.
Yet we come to praise the clinical assessment, not to bury it The history may not, by itself, deliver the diagnosis in 90% of cases but it is essential in all cases to generate a logical differential diagnosis and to guide rational investigation and treatment. In many ‘developed’ countries, some so-called classical physica signs are rare and certain aspects of the clinical examination have been marginalized by novel imaging techniques and disease biomarkers.
Nevertheless, a focused clinical examination is critical to recognizing the sick patient, raising red flags identifying unsuspected problems and, in some cases, revealing signs that cannot be identified with tests (for example, the mental state examination).
- Our aim is to show you how to use your core clinical skills to maximum advantage.
- We offer a grounded and realistic approach to clinical diagnosis with no bias towards any particular element of the assessment.
- Where appropriate, we acknowledge the limitations of the history and examination and direct you to the necessary nvestigation.
- We also highlight those instances where diagnosis is critically dependent on basic clinical assessment, thereby demonstrating its vital and enduring importance.
- We wish you every success in your training and practice, and hope that this book provides at least some small measure of assistance.
Macleod’s Clinical Diagnosis 2nd Edition Ebook PDF